Crack The Code
Super Sleuth Camp
Super Sleuth Camp
Crack the code to solve mysteries
TOOLS: Basic arts and crafts supplies, access to a printer
AGES: 5 – 8 years old
SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
Super Sleuth Camp Overview
Super Sleuth Camp is perfect for younger children as a first introduction to coding. We acknowledge that an online summer camp is not ideal for young learners. This is why we have designed this camp to have both an online and offline component.
First, students will take part each day in a live 2-hour small group session via Zoom. Afterward, students will have fun tasks to complete independently. They will have an opportunity to share their offline accomplishments with friends in the next day’s Zoom meeting.
Live Zoom Session
Students will work together in the live session to complete activities and uncover clues. The clues will then be used to solve the mystery. A new mystery will be introduced each day. The live sessions will be highly interactive and all students will be encouraged to take part in the fact finding missions.
The activities to unlock clues include: grade appropriate math challenges, mazes, logic puzzles, internet research, and writing bits of code. No special software is needed. All activities are designed to develop their fundamental coding and logical thinking skills.
- Construct an animal out of tinfoil
- Make a paper airplane
- Take a picture of an insect in your backyard
- Do as many jumping jacks as you can
IN THIS COURSE:
- Build a foundation in the fundamental coding concepts of sequences algorithms, variables and loops
- Develop logical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Practice internet research skills
- Practice keyboarding and typing skills
- Super Sleuth Camp includes 10 hours of live instruction (full day camp), 4 hours live instruction (mini-camp)
- Daily challenges to complete outside of the live sessions
- Small class sizes (6 students max)
- Certificate of completion
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Computer or tablet with webcam
- Access to a printer (if this is a challenge for you please let us know)
- Basic art supplies: paper, pencil, glue, tape, and crayons, markers, or colored pencils
- Reliable internet connection with access to Zoom video conferencing
- Headset with microphone optional but recommended